Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thursday Morning 4/21

I arrived in Kathmandu last night and got a great nights sleep. Today I get to meet Alisha Grace.

My flight from Chicago to Abu Dhabi was uneventful, however very long - 14 hours. I was able to sleep a little off and on. I flew Etihad Airlines, before this trip had never heard of them. The plane was OK, at least I had an aisle seat and only had one person on the inside, so I wasn't getting up and down all of the time.

Etihad Airlines has a lower weight requirement for your carry on bag than American Airlines - which is what I flew into Chicago. When I was checking in at the Chicago International terminal Etihad made me take items out of the roller bag so it was under the carry on weight…..of course I was all in arms about what was I suppose to do with the stuff that was in my bag. Since I had checked my bags in Minneapolis it wasn't like I could put any of my stuff in there. The very nice clerk then clued me in that I should just remove my stuff now, weigh the bag, and then when I was out of sight just put my stuff back in. Really??? What is the purpose of weighing it then? So I took my stuff out, weighed my bag and then just filled it back up. I had a backpack with me too....they did not weigh it at all. One of those things that make you go hmmmmm.

When I got to Abu Dhabi the airport was under a ton of construction. There were airport construction direction signs in place of permanent signs. I started following the signs but several times I wanted to turn around because I thought I was going the wrong way. Everything seemed very empty. If it hadn't been for the other passengers I probably would have turned around.  Maybe it was because of the construction but everything seemed to be very sprawly at the airport. I bet it is going to look fantastic when the construction is all done.   

The Abu Dhabi airport has a hotel on site. Luckily I was able to get a room there. This way I didn't have to leave the airport to get a room, or worse yet, sleep in one of those airport lounge chairs. My flight layover was for 14 hours so this was very nice. At this hotel you can't make reservations so there are no guarantees you will get in. I hope on the return visit we are just as lucky. Not as long of a layover but with Alisha Grace with me it would be nice not to have to worry about her. If I had not gotten in I would have just stayed at the airport, I am a little gutless on my own.

The next morning I was able to get up, take a shower and get ready for my flight. Of course I was up way too early but it was nice to shower. My flight to Kathmandu left at 10:00 am, I arrived in Kathmandu a little after 4. It is very beautiful here with the mountains.

I was picked up at the airport by Diamond. A very nice gentleman who works with Uma. Uma works for the adoption agency that I am working with to adopt Gracie. Diamond made sure I made it to my room safe and sound. He is 26 married and has a little boy. When Alisha Grace is with me all of the time he wants to have me to his house. This will be great!!

So now that I am settled in my room, and have figured out how to charge my laptop battery, I feel as if I have made some progress. Figuring out which converter would work to recharge my laptop battery took me a long time. But this morning...success!!!

My plan this morning is to actually go eat breakfast in the hotel. Last night I had Apple Cinnamon Cheerios that I brought for Gracie.....I can't eat all of her food I am going to have to be adventurous:)

I am very excited and very nervous about today. I hope all goes well with Alisha Grace and that she at least likes me a little. My understanding is that she is very shy so I am going to have to tone it down for her. Hopefully I will get some great pictures and can share them all with you.

Take Care,
Elizabeth

6 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth,

    Sara passed your blog onto me and I am SO excited about reading it and keeping updated with your little girl. I am so excited for you and know you are going to be a great mommy! Best to you while you're there and thanks for sharing your journey with all of us!

    Jacquelyn Senske :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, so glad to hear that you made it there safely. Looking forward to hearing how your first meeting with Gracie went! I am so glad that you figured out how to charge your computer! A dead computer would have been a disaster for all of us back here. :) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Snyder!
    So happy that you have made it there safe and sound. I can only imagine how emotional today is going to be but how wonderful! I'm holding down the fort here at Target and so far your team has been acting accordingly. However comma - they are not as quick to pick up my dry cleaning or clean my desk off as my team is....I think you spoil them! Keep the blogs coming and get some dang pictures up on this site so I can see that little sweetheart! The least you could have done is post a picture of you after that 14 hour flight so we could all share in your trials and tribulations! :-)
    Hugz - Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sis, glad you made it safe and sound. Have fun!! Enjoy the local food and scenery. Give Gracie a hug and kiss for us. Love you Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elizabeth - It was great to hear from you. Hope everything is going well. I am eagerly waiting for more updates. Like Terry said .. we need pictures.

    When you have time don't hesitate to call my family (4431-550) and ask my brother or sister-in-law to show you around. You will get a scooter ride around town. Hope everything goes very well and you won't need much help but if you do, call them.

    If you miss American food here are few places you would enjoy.

    Mike's Breakfast: American food
    It is less than 10 minutes drive from Baluwatar (where Alisha is)

    Bhat-Bhateni Grocery/Shopping Center: You can practically find everything you need. Cheddar cheese, salsa, chips, wine, cloths etc. It's only 5 minutes from Baluwatar.

    Thamel: You can find lots of cool stuff to bring back. Good Europian Restaurants and lots of walking tourists.

    Pizza Hut/KFC: 15 minutes from Baluwatar. It's in road called King's Way (Durbar Marg). Right in front of the old King's Palace. Lots of Travel Agencies, Hotels, Restaurants and some shopping center.


    Good Luck!
    :)

    ReplyDelete