Thursday, April 28, 2011

Friday, April 29th 5:30am

It is a rainy morning here today in Kathmandu.  We are at the tale end of thunderstorms that have been going on half of the night.  Not really conducive to great sleep, but the rain keeps the dust down and the air pollution tolerable.  I have been very lucky that it has rained every few days since I have been here; the air quality has not been unbearable. 

I need to fill in some of the missing time and details since my last post.  I forgot to mention that on Tuesday when I moved and my room wasn't ready we spent some time in the "Gathering" room.  This room has two dining room tables, buffets that are used to set the dishes and food out on when it is meal time, as well as a couch.  I was sitting on the floor playing with Gracie and Nate and resting against one of the buffets.  I must have been getting really comfortable because suddenly we all heard this noise, looking around, I realize I have broken the glass door on the buffet.  I can hardly believe it. I hadn't even been there two hours!!  The owners told me they had wanted to take the doors out but hadn't been able to figure out how to get them out of there, but I think they were just being nice.  Later that night when I was in my room I could hear them breaking the glass on the broken door because they still couldn't get it out.  I have offered to pay for a new door but so far they have turned me down.  Just wait till you hear what I did next!

So to fast forward to after our walk with the Osswalds on Wednesday, the day of the strike.  We get back and Gracie has a small melt down.  One of many I am sure.  She is not very fond of people coming up to her and touching her.  One of the Didi's here did that but she was out of my site.  So she started crying and I didn't know it.  Well once she got going she wasn't going to stop.  I decided to go lie down with her on the bed and let her cry it out and she promptly fell asleep.  I am thinking this is a really good thing.  Well I let her sleep on top of the comforter and she slept for two and half hours.  Well we all know what happens next don't we....she peed all over the comforter.  I would think that I would learn.  I am surprised they aren't kicking me out.  This is all after just two days!

So Thursday morning comes and it is adoption day.  Yeah!!!  I wasn't sure what time I was being picked up so I tried to call Uma however the phones were not working.  Sometimes that happens here so I wasn't too concerned.  Uma finally got a hold of me around 9:30.   I think she is going to tell me that we should get ready to go but no, she tells me she is ill and has gone to the hospital.  This is not good, for her or me.  She tells me Diamond will be here around 10:30 and that the two of us should just wait for her next phone call.  Well after 10 story books, what seems like a 100 games of Purble Place,senseless made-up games, and 3 hours Uma calls back.  She tells me she has been admitted into the hospital and that the adoption will need to be delayed another day.  She will have her assistant take me on Friday.  I try to hold it together but I can tell you I seriously was struggling.  Between being concerned for Uma's health but really to need to have the adoption final, I was struggling!  So I said OK just let me know what I needed to do.  Uma said she would call me in the morning.  So Diamond left to go home and Gracie and I went into our room.  I just needed some space....

In my room trying to decide what to do next and suddenly there was a knock on my door.  I open it and it is Diamond.  Apparently Uma had called him back to say we had to finish the adoption today.  We were on our way.  Uma's assistant took care of everything for us.  Diamond drove us to the Ministry of Women and Children Services building and we found our way to the right office.  The office was really nothing special and I couldn't understand a thing people said. The power was out so we needed to wait for it to come back on.  Once it did, I signed the documents that made Alisha Grace permanently ours!! Bill and I are very excited about finalizing the adoption.  The twins are very excited about their sister!! Having the official document makes me fill a lot safer here in Kathmandu.  I think we can go out by ourselves now and I won't worry so much.

To celebrate we went out to dinner with the Osswalds.  They were also celebrating as they just received their visa to go home.  They will be leaving us on Saturday.  We will be very sad because Gracie and I have a lot of fun with them.

Today brings a very busy day for us.  Need to start getting ready.  Gracie has been up for awhile now and she is going crazy in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment