Thursday, March 29, 2012

Orphanage Visit and Finding Spot March 28, 2012

So today was our orphanage visit.  Because Kathryn had gotten so much sleep the night before she was wide awake for the 2 hour bus ride to get there.  Apparently the ride used to be 4 hours before the highway was built. Now the highway makes it feel much like the US, except with different scenery.  As we passed by I could see the farmland being tended by hand and with an Ox in some cases. Instead of cows in the fields you could see small herds of oxen.  I did see one herd of cows like you would see in the US.  On the highway there are many trucks hauling goods. The trucks are not nearly as big as the semi's in the US, most of them are cab-overs with 2 drivers.  (I only know they are cab-overs because Gabe likes to call them out when we are driving) 
Our destination for the day is the Fuzhou Children Welfare Center, Fuzhou City in the Fujian province.  When the group arrived at the orphanage we were taken to a meeting room.  In the meeting room they had created and hung 3 banners for the 3 that had come from there.  In the pictures you can see the banner it says "Welcome Fu Ya Lan Back Home".  This was very nice of them.  The director of the orphanage talked about how he gives the little children names.  Fu - which is Kathryn's Chinese last name comes from Fuzhou. Ya - which is Kathryn's first name comes from the year that she was born.  Lan - which is Kathryn's middle name means Orchid. The children are called by their middle name so Kathryn went by Lan.  No child in the 20 years that Director Joe has been at the orphanage has ever had the same name.  I got to take the banner with me, it is quite large, but wouldn't that be nice to have at home? 
In this meeting room all of the families were given each child's orphanage record to look at.  While we couldn't understand it we could take pictures of it.  I only took 2 pictures.  One of Kathryn from the day she was found and one of the person who found her.  I think this will be important to her as she gets older.  We than proceeded to take a tour of the orphanage.  They have asked us to not put photo's of the orphanage on our blogs so I will respect that wish.  This orphanage is very big and very clean.  We only saw a few children which I think was by design.  Most of the children from this orphanage actually go to foster families.  Kathryn was with a foster family most of her life prior to being with me.  As I walk though the buildings I can't keep from comparing the surroundings of my little Grace and where she came from and Kathryn, so very different.   
After our tour the group went to lunch.  Once again this was a very traditional Chinese meal.  Some of the food was very good.  I am not good at eating spicy foods so I had to pass on some of the dishes. But what I did try was very delicious.  Kathryn was really hungry at lunch time so I actually spent a lot of time feeding her.  She really likes the steamed eggs, I am going to have to try and figure out how to make them.  I am not having much luck again at getting her to eat her baby cereal, I am going to have to try something else. 
After lunch we proceeded to go to 2 of the 3 babies finding spots.  I was able to see where Kathryn was found at, it was a very busy street with many shops.  She was found in front of a large gate in a very busy area.  I take this to mean they really wanted her to be found and to be loved, and loved she is.  I felt bad for Trish and Jay the family that could not see their finding spot for their little girl.  There was not enough information for them to determine exactly where she was found.  The third little girl with us was able to see her finding spot.  It was also in a busy area where she was sure to be found. 
After all of that excitement we took the 2 hour bus ride home.  Kathryn, still wide awake was just snuggling with me, talking like she loves to do.  I am hoping to get some video uploaded of her chatting away.  Struggling to make it work.  I don't think it is me, but it could be:)
The evening ended very quietly.  It was a long day and Kathryn was tired.  She went to bed early again after eating and slept the whole night through.         
Love to all,
Kathryn and Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. I am just so excited for you, Kathryn and your family!

    So Nanchang was also the city we finalized our adoption, but Elysa was in an orphanage in the Jiangxi province.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete