Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Official Adoption Day March 26, 2012

Today was the "Official" adoption day in Nanchang.  It was very exhausting for the both of us. 

First stop was the Civil Affairs office to sign our documents.  Every time the group goes anywhere we are driven by the bus driver from the hotel.  As the bus driver pulled up to the government building he hit a 2ft. high brick wall with the bus.  This put a huge scratch and dent in the bus, I hope he didn't get into to much trouble.  

The group then proceeded to go up to the 26th floor of this building.  Smoking is allowed everywhere in China and so I find it amazing that people will smoke in elevators, which is what happened to us.  Simple things like this remind me how different it is from the US.  When the group got to our floor we were given a document that we needed to verify the following:  name, address, birth-date and passport number.  A very simple task.  But it came with the warning that if any of the information was incorrect and we proceeded on we would have to fly back to Nanchang to get it corrected before we could meet with the consulate.  This warning seem to make it all the more important that everything were positively correct before we proceeded any further.  It was very nerve racking. 

After signing the necessary documents and getting our official adoption paperwork I then met with an official and had to swear that I would take care of Kathryn and would never abandon her.  (In my head I was thinking....it took me 6 years to get her, why would I ever even think to abandon her.)  Of course, I did not say anything but yes!!  I also had to promise to send her to a University!!  Hope I can afford it by the time she gets to be that age! I hate to think of what it is going to cost in 18 years.

After this momentous occasion we celebrated by going to of all places Wal-mart.  Each member in the group really needed to get some stuff for their babies.  I needed to get a stroller.  While Kathryn is very tiny and probably doesn't weigh 16 pounds yet, continuously carrying her was not easy.  I wanted to purchase an inexpensive stroller.  I also purchased some Chinese baby food while I was there.  Good think because Kathryn really likes it.  I think we will be making one more trip and so I might need to buy some more for her then.

After shopping and a bite for lunch the group then headed to the local police station.  Kathryn and the babies needed to get their pictures taken for their passports.  This was a very simple process and didn't take to long.  We met up with some other US families from other agencies doing this to.  The babies were all very cute. 

One last stop for the day was to the notary.  The Notary signed one of the documents, not sure which one.  Again, I needed to swear that I would take care of Kathryn and send her to the University.  This process didn't take very long but by now it is getting late in the day 3:30 or so, and it is getting hot.  Kathryn was getting a little cranky and was certainly getting tired.  I was ready to be done.  After all families had their paperwork notarized we headed back to the hotel.  Thank goodness....

For supper the families decided to order pizza.  So Kathryn and I joined in, well I did at least.  After supper we headed off to our room.  It is going to be an early night tonight.  Both of us are very tired. 

Tomorrow we are doing some sightseeing and maybe some shopping.  This should be fun.  Kathryn has been just a little dream child.  She loves to move her head to music and likes it when I whistle.  I really need to learn some new songs. 

Love you all
Kathryn and Elizabeth
 

Official signing of the paperwork,  farmilies are checking over their information.

Wal-mart sign

Wal-mart escalator - takes both people and strollers


Police Station


Police officer who took Kathryn's picture

Pictures of kathryn throughout the day!!

She is teething!

No comments:

Post a Comment